June 30, 2013

My Ideal Justice League Cast

With the new Justice League movie on it's way, I've heard a lot of mixed things as to what Warner Brothers and D.C. are going to do with it. I have a few ideas of my own, but one thing that people seem to be most curious about is who the cast is going to consist of. With that said, here is who I currently believe would make a pretty solid JL team. Critique and enjoy.

Superman / Kal El / Clark Kent: Henry Cavill
The Beef: So Cavill is cool. He rocked the classic attitude of Supes well, his acting was pretty solid, and from what my lady friends tell me he looks pretty good in Kryptonian combat tights. HOWEVER, I wanna see Kal developed more. He went from torn Krypto-human to the Man Of Steel practically overnight, a disappointment for me because I really wanted to see the process of what it takes to become physically and psychologically invincible (or at least close to it). In short, Cavill will be back. But gimme mo' drama!




Batman / Bruce Wayne: Matt Bomer
 The Beef: I know, he's neither Bale nor Gordon-Levitt, but that's a good thing. Bale wouldn't work because he was basically beat to sh!t and rendered handicapped in DKR, and Gordon-Levitt wouldn't fly because a 2nd generation Batman in a JL film would be pure deprivation. Plus, Gordon-Levitt is tiny. Like, really tiny. Believe me, an expansion on the world Nolan created in the DK trilogy would be awesome, but I just don't think it would do justice considering the conclusion in DKR when Bruce hung up his cape for goods. So, yeah. Bomer. Deal with it.




Wonder Woman / Princess Diana: Bridget Regan
The Beef: A classic look, silky dark hair, and lips that would look lovely in red lipstick- I think this lady would make a nice WW. You may know Regan from the series Legend of the Seeker, started in 2008, and there's a good reason I bring this up. Most of Regan's experience is in television, meaning she's accustomed to over exaggerating her facial expressions. While she would need to bulk up a bit for the role of WW, the main thing she'd have to watch out for is maintaining a believable persona. WW needs to be consistent, an admirable and emotionally strong woman. Any quirkiness could easily stop audiences from rooting for her.




Martian Manhunter / J'onn J'onzz: Colin Salmon
The Beef: So this was tricky. Who do you pick to play the most mysterious, level-headed, and intimate member of the JL team? I think Salmon would be a safe bet. He has the experience, the talent, the build (he's frickin 6'4"), and he has an interesting accent/face. Some peeps say MM shouldn't even be in the JL film, but I say include him since he's always been a great moderator for the team, the Martian glue that helps hold them together. Plus he has all of Superman's powers and more. Sounds sweet to me.




Green Lantern / John Stewart: Idris Elba
The Beef: Yup, Elba, that bossly man from Thor and Prometheus. If WB wants to go with the Hal Jordan they showed us in 2011, then whatevs. Personally, I would rather see a stronger/more focused/more hardcore GL like John Stewart (an ex-marine) instead of the cocky smart mouth that WB had Reynolds play. With Stewart in the team, he could essentially be what Captain America was in the Avengers, a powerful-yet-not-as-powerful leader (I think Superman needs some experience before he can be the overall leader). Also, the constructs of the GL need to be less cheesy... no machine guns, no fighter jets... war is no time to be overly creative. Simply using the energy of the ring (i.e. blasts and punches) would be much more realistic. I'm a GL fan though, so I wish WB luck.




Flash / Berry Allen: Ryan Kwanten
The Beef: So I'm pretty sold on this choice. If you are familiar with Kwanten at all, you'll know he can play the funny-but-not-over-the-top Scarlet Speeder of the JL team (along with giving some good character insight). My only worry is that WB will want Kwanten to mainly be a comic relief, a copycat attempt of the humor we get in the Iron Man films (which would likely get annoying). Yes, Flash is funny, but he's not immature. His humor is kind of his way of coping with everything, it helps settle him and the rest of the JL team. But Flash always holds his own when things get gritty, so his overall vibe should be at least a step above "young man", a level of toughness/independence that would also allow for standalone Flash films. 




Aquaman / Arthur Curry: Armie Hammer
 The Beef: Hammer. He's 6'5", deep-voiced, and good at playing a jerk. And he's also 6'5". The reason I say he's good at playing a jerk, however, is because I think WB could utilize Aquaman's grungy side. Think about it... if you were king of about 70.8% of the earth's surface, wouldn't you be a little upset at those little humans who keep damaging the environment? I think Aquaman could actually make a good villain in a JL film, a tough villain too. Not many people know this, but the king of the seven seas has nearly the same strength as Superman, as well as hydrokinesis (a good power to threaten humanity with). Plus, because the oceans are so vast, Aquaman could wreak havoc while remaining illusive, showing off how deadly he can be given the chance. Overall, I think Aquaman and his underwater world would be a great aspect of the JL world to explore, something that's never really been done in the past. And perhaps Hammer isn't the best choice, maybe WB would need someone a little older/rugged looking (though don't copy Thor, NO GOLDEN LOCKS PLEASE). But I think he would make a good Aquaman, intimidating and unpredictable.





 So there you go, my Justice League team. As for how they're going to roll this story out onto the big screen, I have no idea. I still like the idea of Aquaman as a villain though, but we'll see. This will be Warner Brothers and D.C.'s biggest moves for taking their comic heroes seriously though, so I doubt they will let this one flub. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Thoughts? Leave 'em below.

No comments:

Post a Comment